Thursday, September 25, 2014

"Stem Cell Research Breaks Ground With Nearly 100% Boost In Production, Thanks To Vitamin C" by Rishitha Thambireddy



Imagine a world where a multitude of diseases, disorders, or injuries can be cured by a one treatment type. Stem cell research gives hope that this is a possibility in the future. New research has allowed scientists to greatly improve the production of stem cell using Vitamin C. Additionally, the first stem cell research on humans is planned to take place in 2015 in Denmark. With these exciting announcement is regenerative medicine field, stem cell treatment is becoming more of a reality.


In my opinion, stem cell research is a viable option for treatment in the future. Although it has had some halts due to the lack of financial support and opposition from people who find it morally wrong to use embryonic stem cells, it is making steady progress. With new research, scientist have been able to avoid the use of embryonic stem cells and reprogram adult stem cells to become induced pluripotent stem cells. If stem cell research is successful, it will forever change the field of regenerative medicine and humans will be able to accomplish remarkable things.


I chose this article because I thought that it was intriguing topic that other students might be interested in because of the mind-blowing potential of stem cells. I also think it gives a new perspective on how we look at medicine and technology to enhance natural human qualities. I found this article to be interesting personally because it is a field of science that I aspire to be in as an adult. It is a pertinent topic for me because it is something I want to be involved in. Moreover, I think it is a promising treatment option during my lifetime.



8 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you when it comes to the use of stem cells. Yes, the use of embryos is questionable, but in my opinion, the potential for stem cells to cure injuries, diseases, and even deficiencies you were born with is very much worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stem Cell research is definitely a step up in the medical field as it uses advanced technology for a great cause. I agree that this topic is highly interesting as it shows the various and numerous cures stem cells can effectively do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stem cells are definitely an exciting field to be in. I can't wait until we can see some specific uses for them that would effect the every day average person. As a parent, they have made a big deal out of saving umbilical cord blood of your baby. It is big money, but they have not really shown a huge justification for doing so. I find this to be an area I would like to know more about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very interesting topic that could solve most of our medical problems in the world, however, are there any side effects to using stem cells?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think there is good reason to use stem cells for curing diseases. Especially for me, in the diagram where it says potential uses of stem cells from the article, it includes Alzheimer's. My uncle had Alzheimer's and from experience it was a very sad process to watch as he lost his memory as he recently passed away, the news of that using stem cells could help cure diseases excites me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool article! I found it very interesting that through years and years of medical research, now doctors may soon have a cure for many types of diseases, disorders, or injuries. I hope the stem cell research so that it can help younger and older patients with disease that are taking their lives away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very interesting, it would be amazing to have things like stem cells because they can now cure diseases like cancer and other diseases that could not be cured before. If this was given how much would it cost to use such stem cells and would it be very expensive?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This article is very interesting to me. Even though using stem cells effectively is still in the future, it is still a technology worth investing in. Currently, the only way to harvest stem cells is to take an embryos from the mother's womb and use the embryos to make stem cells. This kills the embryos in the process. So collecting and using stem cells is still very much in the future.

    ReplyDelete