Monday, December 15, 2014

Should We Eat Five or Six Times a Day? - Jackie Li

Throughout the centuries, it has become a norm to eat three meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner, with the exception of a couple of snacks, of course. But through the course of data analysis, it is shown that eating smaller portions of five or six meals is healthier to your body, rather than eating three huge meals. This is all due to the fact that your body, with the fluctuating feeling of fullness and emptiness in your stomach, resulting in sleepiness and exhaustion, struggles to digest large amounts of food at one time. An example to show how much the stomach and digestive system struggles is when people start bloating after eating a large amount of food. Bloating is a build up of gas inside the body when, for example, eating too much food at once, while swallowing air unintentionally, which will lead to mild discomfort. With the five or six smaller portioned meals, there will be less bloating, due to eating less at a time, and there will also be a smaller influx of hunger, while working and waiting for the next meal. This will lead people to be more able to cope with their duties of the day, without feeling the urge to fall asleep. Eating in these portions will also help us burn more calories at a time; with eating less but more often, we will be able to burn more calories by walking briskly without starting to feel nauseous, and much more!

Nutrition and the health of ones' body has always interested me throughout my entire life, starting when I was in the third grade. I was always obsessed with my body and how I would become healthier when I was a little kid and this sparked my research on diets, disease, and exercise. Through researching these topics, I feel as if I know more which will help boost my caution with living better.



Link to the Article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-53111/Why-eating-little-best.html

8 comments:

  1. I think this is going to help a lot of people, as many complain throughout the day, of how tired and hungry they are, as I as am one of those people. I agree how 5 meals a day could help people, especially with diets, and hunger. 5 meals a day can definitely keep someone full, without complaining. I find it very interesting, and will definitely research more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes sense because I know some people that eat a few times a day, and they aren't very fit. I believe that eating 5 to 6 times a day will help your metabolism as well, and will lead to healthier lives without many health issues or diseases. At night, especially, people should not eat a large portion size of dinner due to the unhealthy factors that come into play. This is an important aspect of people's lives, specifically adolescents, because this is their growth period, where they need substantial nutrients and energy in order to supply them throughout the day. By following this simple practice, people will have a balanced amount of energy at all times, instead of having a lot of energy a few times a day, and then it will soon be released as heat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have eaten both 3 larger meals and 5-6 smaller meals a day and have found that the 5-6 meals a day made me feel more active in comparison to the 3 larger meals, and essentially reduced bloating. Especially because I am active during the day, I believe that it is difficult to do different activities with so much food in your stomach to slow you down. Plus having 5-6 smaller meals a day has proven to be better with time management for me with less time needed to eat, and more time to do other things like homework or a sport.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is quite interesting, eating 5-6 meals a day while only being awake for about 16 hours in a day would lead to meals about every 3 hours. Imagine having 2 lunches at school or a 5-6 part Thanksgiving. On the subject of Thanksgiving, eating the turkey and etc over the entire day rather than a noon or dinner stuffing may help. Imagine, finally being able to try every dish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Oliver- eating smaller and more frequent meals could not only reduce hunger, but also help keep metabolism up. I think it would be a good idea, but it might be hard to do this at school or at work, as there is only a certain amount of allotted time for lunch breaks. Perhaps if the school allowed us to have two lunch breaks, students would not complain about constantly being hungry and tired!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is interesting to me that eating 5-6 meals a day is healthier than eating 3 meals a day. I never knew that our bodies struggle to digest large amounts of food at one time. I now realize why some people constantly complain of being sleepy and hungry the whole time. I think that this can help make more people aware of how many meals they eat everyday, as well as how much they eat during each meal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Generally I always eat twice to thrice a day and have some bloating problems and I don't feel like eating the next meal. But this research that shows that eating more than thrice a day in small amounts will make one healthy, less hungry and will decrease the bloating problems.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a really unique concept that I haven't heard of- to eat 5-6 meals a day instead of just 3. It would be interesting to see how in doing so, a person might be able to improve his/her health in many ways (such as in reducing bloating and indigestion problems). However, eating 5-6 times a day might be impractical and not fit for today's schedules and society. Because of that, I don't think this finding will really cause people to change their eating habits, which is a bit sad.

    ReplyDelete