Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Another Case Against The Midnight Snack- Gabriella Hinks

   When pulling an all-nighter, it is never complete without lots and lots of food. The thing that many people don't realize is the effect these "midnight snacks" are having on their health. In a study done by the Sulk Institute for Biological Studies, they used mice as a representation of the effects the late night snacks have on a persons weight over a period of time. It was found that mice being fed a high-fat diet but with a shortened window of opportunity to eat, were leaner and healthier than the mice given the same options with no restrictions on when they could eat. This was shocking to me because I had always been told that a healthy and balanced diet was one of the keys to a healthy life. Now this is changing to not only what you eat but also when you eat it. This could change the lives of so many people significantly because as it has been shown our country has a higher obesity average than most. If we could simply restrict them from eating at certain times, we would be one step closer to our goal of each individual having a healthy and balanced lifestyle. It was shown that a simple restriction of time caused a body fat drop of 5% over the course of just a few days. Imagine if this was everyday.
 
   I chose this article because I feel this study will have significant affect on our treatment of obesity and help us gain our goals of a healthy and comfortable body weight and life style for everyone. I find it really interesting that no longer is it just what you eat that has an affect on your health but when you eat it too. So before you decide to cut all fatty foods out of your diet in hopes to "slim-down" why not try simply giving yourself a time window where you can eat the foods you enjoy.  
 
   
 
For more information here is the link to the article:http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/12/141202123735.htm

6 comments:

  1. I like the idea of giving myself "time windows" to eat snacks throughout the day. Me personally, I stay up late all the time, and frequently get hungry so I eat the closest snack available to me so I continue with whatever I may have been doing, which isn't a great habit. But now that I know a little bit more on why late snacking is unhealthy for me, I will take it into consideration the next time I want a high calorie late night snack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the idea of eating at a certain time, rather than giving up fatty foods. I think people would like the idea of instead of restricting what you eat, you just have to eat at a certain time. It was really interesting how the mice with no restrictions were more healthy than the other mice. Although one ate at a certain time, I still thought the one with no restrictions, would be unhealthy. Nice article!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact that people do not have to give up the foods they like to lose some weight is fantastic. I agree that many people are fed the ideal that fatty foods is not going to work if one were to lose wight. This research clearly abolishes that ideal so that people do not just follow what people think is right but it makes them actually think about what truly makes their body stay in shape. It is an amazing article and I believe more people should know about this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that this is a great article because it highlights the main problem with dieting. If dieters can eat what they want in a constricted time period, it could help America reduce the likelihood of more americans becoming obese. I also like how this proves that as we keep exploring new fields in science, we learn new things that replace the old ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this topic was needed for me. That timing of food and snacks can drop the body fat percent by 5% was astonishing! I think that this article can address the dietary problems of several people who are suffering and struggling to lose some weight.

    ReplyDelete