Friday, October 24, 2014

Blue LEDS and how amazing they are!

Why should you care about blue LED? It’s just light right? Blue LED actually can create white light, which what we use for TV displays, blu-ray players, and so much more. Blue LED’s combined with red and green ones, make white light. This light, is much more energy-saving, and is better. LED light tend to be ecologically better. An interesting fact  about white light is that one can use different light bulb, like regular light bulbs which  give  16 lumen per watt, Fluorescent lights have 70 lumen per watt, but LED lamps can go up to 300 lumen per watt. Lumens, are a way to measure how bright something is. Before when people had fluorescent light bulbs, it probably wasn't really bright, since they are only 70 l/w. But, LEDS can have up to 300 watts, which is cool and super bright. I think most plays and theaters would use LEDS since they are super bright. LEDS can go up to 100,000 hours of light, compared to the mere 10,000 hours for fluorescent bulbs or only 1,000 for normal light bulbs. The iPhone or Samsung uses these amazing LEDS;  and no one can use their phone without it, because their phone most likely uses white light created by blue LED. There is something called an ultraviolet LED, which was created by blue LEDS, and what UV LEDS, can do are decontaminate polluted water. UV light kills germs and bacteria, and with this invention, it is possible to have clean water. This invention is barely 20 years old, but it’s a wonderful invention. This year a nobel prize of physics was given to 3 Japanese scientists for creating this wonderful and amazing invention.

I think blue LEDS are really cool. I never knew that my computer screen, or my phone is generated by this invention. It is pretty awesome that we have white light, and it’s so useful in our lives. I know that if we didn't have blue LEDS, many things would be different. Our phones, and TV screens would most likely look different and be less bright. It's such a wonderful contribution to our world. It's such a useful invention, and I think the scientists who created this deserved that Nobel prize since it's such a big thing in our world today.

Articles:
http://blog.tcpi.com/2013/02/13/what-are-lumens-what-does-it-mean-for-me/

9 comments:

  1. Wow I never knew that blue LED can create white light. That is really amazing. And the fact that our phones use these LEDS and that no one could use their phone without it is very interesting. Your article makes me realize how important blue LEDS are, and the impact that it has on our world and our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This article reminds me of 8th grade science. We learned about all of the different light bulbs and how LED's were one of the most efficient. I agree that this is a breakthrough and great things are possible with this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very interesting article and I never knew many facts that were presented! Who knew that blue LEDs are so influential throughout today's modern society and with so many devices we use daily. I wonder if we can create more inventions using these or adding onto an already made invention to make it better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fact that these LEDs last longer and brighter than the bulbs of normal and fluorescent bulbs is very interesting. However, such an innovation must come with a cost. How much more expensive are these LEDs, and how exactly do they kill bacteria?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never knew that LED lights were so powerful, that they went up to 300 lumens per watt. I also find it fascinating that people can use UV LEDS to clean water, this method could greatly impact the future of science.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always thought LED lights just looked cool in laser tag and Halloween, I never knew LED lights are so different from regular light bulbs. The fact that UV light kills bacteria and germs almost makes me want to experiment with that. I agree, I do think the person who invented blue LED lights should have gotten a Nobel Prize

    ReplyDelete
  7. Before reading this article, I was unsure as to how LED lights could do anything other than light up parties and other un-useful things, but after reading this article, I was shocked as to how powerful the LED lights truly were. I was completely astounded by the fact that LED lights could be used for important things like cleaning water.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job! While I had heard of LEDs before reading this article, I never knew that there were blue, green, and red ones available. This reminds me of 8th grade science as well, when we learned that red, blue, and green are the three primary light colors. It's amazing how blue LEDS are able to kill bacteria and germs in water. Perhaps this discovery could be really beneficial in countries where clean water is not easily available to people, and LED lights could be used to decontaminate water, depending on the cost of the lights.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This article brings me back to what we learned about light in 8th grade, and I found that to be a very interesting topic, and I now have even more knowledge about it. When my 8th grade teacher first mentioned LED lights I was amazed at how these tiny lights can make up so many things. Blue LEDs are really important too, since they are one of the most important components that make white light, and I did not know that. Very interesting to learn about.

    ReplyDelete