Thursday, October 2, 2014

Should You Use the Snooze Button?

The snooze button is just one of life's little luxuries, and it's easy to kid yourself into thinking that all you need is an extra ten, twenty- or even thirty minutes to sleep. But if you're lying there snoozing, you're lying to yourself. At best, it's a psychological crutch. At worst, it's throwing off your brain function for the day. And it's defiantly not helping you get any real rest. You must be wondering, "what do you mean i'm not getting any real rest?" To explain, when you let yourself go back to sleep after hitting the snooze button, your body thinks, "false alarm! I guess we didn't need to do anything, because we're not getting up after all," and settles back into sleep mood. When that buzzer goes off a second time, your body and brain are taken by surprise, resulting in that groggy, fuzzy feeling called sleep inertia. The more you snooze, the more confused your body and brain get ("So are we going back to sleep or not?!"), so you'll probably feel even more out of it even though you actually spent "extra" time in bed.  Sleep inertia, first given the name in 1976, is just one of the many downfalls that the snooze button can have. Sleep inertia slows down your decision-making abilities, impairs your memory and hurts your general performance once you do get out of bed. To make matters worse, coffee and a cold shower can't make up for it it, it can take up to an hour and a half to shake off sleep-inertia grogginess. The snooze button can also contribute to "weight gain, diabetes and heart disease, a sleep scientist from the University of Pennsylvania has said." When you wake up naturally, as on a relaxed weekend morning, you do so based mainly on two factors: the amount of external light and the setting of our internal alarm clock, scientifically called circadian rhythm. You probably know that sleep occurs in cycles, the two most important cycles are rapid eye movement (REM) and deep sleep. We all experience more deep sleep early in the night, and more REM sleep before natural awakening, triggered by changing chemical balances. An hour or two before you wake up, you are most likely to be in REM sleep. You dream a lot during this period, and analysis recent memories. Research shows that cutting into REM sleep with an alarm can blunt your mental function during the day. Studies about sleep fragmentation convey sleep which is interrupted by a snooze button every minute or every ten can lead to "sleepiness-related daytime impairment." There is less value in snooze sleep and, if too much of your bed time is spent snoozing, you can expect impairments in your memory, reaction time, comprehension and attention.
So, should you use the snooze button? Probably not. What should you do if you wake up tired every morning? The best thing to do would be face the facts, that your not getting enough sleep, and no amount of snoozing will not fix that.  Some long term fixes would be sleep earlier, and have your alarm out of reach. You could also get a Clocky- just watch the video below.

I chose this article because I felt that everyone can relate to having an alarm and pressing the snooze button for school. I, myself do it a lot. Doing research about this, has really made me understand the science behind how awful it is, and the cons to just pressing a single button. This article was fascinating because I love learning about how the body functions. The fact that it explained how we have two different sleep cycles, really intrigued me.

Article: http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/snoozers-are-in-fact-losers 

19 comments:

  1. I found this article very interesting because I always have trouble waking up in the morning. I actually had Clocky alarm clock in middle school and it was quite helpful but it was so loud, it would wake up my entire family! I have to agree that people shouldn't use the snooze button, I disabled mine on my phone because not having it there took away the temptation of hitting it and going back to sleep, which always made me late. I was just wondering for students that use snooze button, do those extra few minutes really help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This article really is interesting and made me think about my morning habits. In the morning I myself, use the snooze button as it helps me transition. The first time my alarm goes off I hit the snooze button which gives me an extra ten minutes and helps me transition into the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how something we use in our daily life has such a huge impact in our bodies, I didn't know that it confused our mind that much, when we used the snooze button.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this was really an interesting article which made me think about what I should and should not do in the morning. Every time my alarm goes off, I use the snooze button to sleep those extra few minutes, but I'm still tired during the day. Maybe instead of using the snooze button, I should just get up and get on with my life. I did notice that the few times I did get up immediately, I felt more refreshed during the day, but I had thought that it was because I slept a little earlier. Now I know that it might be because my brain was not as confused compared to other days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this article is really interesting. I can relate because I myself use the snooze button every morning. Its really incredible and shocking that using the snooze button could have such an impact on our bodies as well as confuse our minds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Personally, I think I now rely on the snooze button just to wake up nowadays. I feel like, one, I don't get fully woken up with only one instance of the alarm, and two, I now have that voice in the back of my head that says there'll be a second alarm, even if I don't hit the snooze. I suppose I've conditioned myself to use the snooze button.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have noticed that the snooze button does have an effect and I wake up later than I would have liked especially on school days. I would have to agree that the time after you snooze the alarm is practically useless. There is not much "good" sleep that you can get out of those couple extra minutes and this article has shown me that it is not that important for the snooze button to be there because I can improve my own sleep without it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't count the amount of times I've relied upon the snooze button of my alarm. I did notice the condition known as "sleep inertia", but I always accounted it to waking up so early with the alarm in the first place. I'll be sure to stay away from the Snooze button from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now, I always rely on my snooze to wake me up. But now after reading this article, I might change my habits significantly. I really don't want to be sleepy during class time and maybe this will help me. But if I still doze off in class, this article may not be accurate. Or maybe I could sleep earlier. I still think that getting more sleep everyday is more important than the snooze alarm. This article may be interesting, but it may not be completely effective.
    I just hope that I can get more sleep and not doze off in class.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is extremely interesting I did not know that there was a name for the way I feel when I wake up in the morning very groggy. I do not use an alarm clock but I rely on my phone to help me wake up and I have felt that sleeping an extra 10 to 20 minutes makes me extremely tired and groggy and makes it harder for me to wake up. This grogginess usually last for 1 or so hours in school and can be very annoying to me. I feel groggy and lethargic and it is due to me adding extra minutes to my sleep time. My question though is why do we still include snooze buttons our our alarm clocks if they are nothing but detrimental to our health and alertness in school and other actives.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is strange, I use an alarm clock to wake up, but I never knew snooze could make me sleepier. I always thought that I just was not getting enough sleep, but maybe I should stop using an alarm clock? I always hit snooze at least once, but now I'll try to wake up on my first alarm or try to wake up on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is very interesting because whenever I get dropped of to school by my dad, I get extra sleep time. Even though this means more sleep, I now know that it makes me feel much worse due to the fact that those days I don't follow my sleep patterns, meaning that my brain will feel worse. Thanks for the information, it's very helpful for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The most surprising thing is that the scientists were able to analyze and research further on such a deep topic. Very good observation might be needed for this, and due to this research, many people might have been able to know why they feel sleepy during the course of the day. Sometimes, even I press the snooze button and wake up twenty minutes later, realizing that I'am getting late! I think now on, I'll try to get enough sleep in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job! I was surprised to learn how sleeping for 5 more minutes can actually have a negative affect on a person, and that too much sleep can be a bad thing. I usually don't use an alarm in the mornings, but I have noticed that whenever I wake up and go back to sleep for 10-20 more minutes, I feel more tired and groggy after waking up than I did the first time I woke up that day. When I do use an alarm, I think that I will now try not to press the snooze button anymore, and get up the first time I wake up, though I am not a morning person.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Who knew? I find it kind of strange because when i use my snooze button and those extra 5-10 minutes always feels like the deepest sleep of my rest. But I know that when I get up I do feel a little groggier than other days when I don't use my alarm. I will try to wake up on the first round of beeps rather than sleeping those extra 5 minutes that ultimately affect my day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I actually found this article to be very helpful, because as I read through the article, I realized that I do feel sleepier when I press the snooze button. After looking at the facts and as a person that does wake up groggy extremely often, I see that I do need to just get to bed earlier. I like that this article was so relate able. I am going to start adjusting my sleep schedule to be healthier and it just might turn around my whole day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The general feeling people have subsequent to waking up, is that of sleepiness. This compels people to hit that "snooze" button, and from what I gathered from this article, is that it's really more detrimental to a person's day than just waking up the first time. How would you suggest we combat that feeling of sleepiness right after someone wakes up?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can very much relate to this article since I always try to get those "extra 5 minutes" of sleep in the mornings which usually turn out to be much more. Now i realize how its important to wake up the first time to prevent from altering my sleeping patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I finally found a reason to why i have kept the snooze option off on my phones alarm however i would like to discover some research on why even after a good nights rest we are still a little sleepy

    ReplyDelete